Izzy’s Road Safety Tips for Kids
Our Smart Steps road safety mascot, Izzy, visits children all over Western Australia to share road safety messages through song and dance. Share Izzy’s tips below with your kids or early years students to teach them how to be safer on the road and around traffic.
Safety on wheels
1. Protect your head and wear your helmet when you ride on a wheeled toy (including bikes, scooters, skateboards, roller blades, rip sticks & hover boards). A loose helmet is just a hat! Ask an adult to check your helmet.
2. Ride on the footpath away from traffic and ask an adult to be with you. It is the law to get off your bike when crossing the road, and not only is it law, but it’s a lot safer too!
3. Always buckle up! Sit in the back seat of the car until you are over seven years old.
4. Get in and out of the car using the safety door. This is the door closest to the kerb.
5. Before you cross the road STOP, LOOK, LISTEN, THINK, and hold an adult’s hand.
Need something more visual to show the kids? Check out our infographic!
The Smart Steps road safety program provide parents and educators with a range of helpful resources and support materials including songs, storybooks and games. Learn more about this program here.
Infographic Source: Road Safety Tips for Kids